Thursday, April 10, 2014

It Takes a College to Raise a Child

Not long ago Hannah went out grocery shopping and left Charis with me, as she does from time to time. Usually Charis and I have fun when it’s just the two of us. I read a lot to her, build things for her to knock down, and try to introduce her to developmentally inappropriate toys like Legos and model trains when her mother’s not around to ruin our fun by pointing out the “choking hazard” warnings all over such toys. We have fun, but Charis never seems her normal cheerful self. She laughs, but it’s always a half-hearted “nice-try Dad,” kind of laugh. I have realized that, while I may or may not be a great Dad, I will never be Mom. I don’t tell you this to get sympathy. In fact, I’m only explaining this so that you will understand the picture below. During Hannah’s most recent trip to the grocery store Charis was looking particularly melancholy, so I got out our camera and did my best to capture her mood. I’ll let you decide if I succeeded.

For the most part, Charis is an incredibly joyful child. She is growing quickly and rocketing through developmental stages. She is sitting up by herself (as seen in picture), eating some cereal-like baby food on her own, and regularly sleeping through the night. Dr. Pickett, Charis’ pediatrician, is happy with her progress. She still has a bit of a heart murmur, but the cardiologist doesn’t seem too concerned. Like all babies her age, she seems to enjoy hitting things, putting things in her mouth, and frantically kicking when mommy or daddy is trying to change her diaper. She has captured the hearts of just about every student on campus and rarely has to play by herself. It's not unusual for her to get passed around in the dinning hall so many times that her parents lose track of who has her or where she is. More than once I have had a student whose name I don’t know hand me back my own child. She never seems to mind getting held by strangers. Hannah and I realize that we will not always be in such a safe and loving environment, so we’re trying to take advantage of it while it lasts. I believe that the old adage is, “it takes a village to raise a child,” well, in Charis’ case, it’s taking a college.

1 comment:

Laura Ward said...

What a face!! There's nothing like Mom, I guess, though I've seen her quite happy with you before, Adam. :) So glad you have these last few weeks to soak up all the students' love!